The Children’s Department serves children from birth through fifth grade, as well as their parents and teachers. We offer resources and programming to encourage literacy, inspire creativity, and instill a lifelong love of learning.
We are currently offering many virtual programs for children of all ages. We also have weekly take and make kits that can be picked up from the library on a first come, first served basis. For a full list of our programs and kits, check out our children’s calendar. We also encourage you to sign up for the children’s weekly newsletter so you never miss an event!
There’s always a librarian available to help you find what you’re looking for and answer any questions you may have. You can also call the Children’s Department directly at (203)284-6436.
For everyone’s safety, here are a few things to keep in mind when you plan your visit:
- We strongly encourage families to still have one adult come alone to select materials for the family whenever possible.
- Everyone ages 2 and up must wear a mask at all times in the building. Children under the age of 2 must stay in a stroller or baby carrier for the duration of the visit.
- Children under the age of 12 must have an adult with them to enter the building.
- The Children’s Room is opening up for browsing purposes only. We ask that you keep your visit as brief as possible. Toys and furniture have been removed, and the train station has been blocked off. As much as we miss you, we are not currently set up to accommodate families looking to “stay and play.”
- Please remember to maintain 6 feet of distance between other families and the library staff.
Please take a look at our Policy on Unattended Children in the Library.