The Wallingford Public Library seeks an Assistant Director to join its team. The successful candidate will be passionate about providing outstanding services to library patrons, have a proven track record of leading and motivating staff in a team environment, possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and delight in collaborating with community partners.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operational management of the Library, including planning, scheduling, supervision, public services, facilities management, and collections in partnership with department managers.
- Is actively engaged in the implementation of the Library’s strategic plan, mission, vision, and goals.
- Supervises the Information Services department including planning, coordinating, budgeting, reporting, and personnel.
- Monitors all collections expenditures and is responsible for allocating the materials budget across departments.
- Oversees online resources and maintains vendor contracts and relationships.
- Oversees the maintenance of library buildings and equipment and assures safe conditions for staff and public.
- Assists with facilities planning, development, and capital projects.
- Assists in development of library policies and procedures.
- Assists the Director with preparation of annual budget.
- In partnership with Management Team, participates in public relations and community outreach.
- Leads and coordinates communications across departments.
- Supports development and fundraising efforts.
Additional Job Duties:
- Serves on public desks.
- Responds to public inquiries regarding library collections, services, programs, and policies.
- Participates in community organizations and speaks to community groups about library programs and services.
- Participates in professional organizations and attends conferences and workshops.
- Acts on Director’s behalf when s/he is not available.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of five years of experience in public libraries.
- A minimum of three years in a library management or department head position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exceptional understanding of current principles, practices, and procedures of professional library administration.
- Ability to supervise the work of department heads and staff.
- Ability to work well with and coordinate the work of others, meet people easily, and communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to adhere to and convey to others approved library policies and procedures.
- Skill in assisting library patrons with collections, services, technology, and digital media.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Duties require moving throughout the building to access collections, lead programs and meetings, and operate office equipment.
- Duties require ability to express and exchange ideas by means of the spoken word and to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels, with or without correction.
- Duties require close visual acuity for extensive reading and viewing a computer terminal.
- Duties require extended periods of standing, walking, and sitting.
- Duties require occasional periods of pulling/pushing items, lifting/carrying items up to twenty pounds, bending, stooping, and fine manipulation skills.
Benefits & Compensation:
- 12 steps, depending on qualifications and experience (range is $74,645 – $90,668)
- 20 vacation days, 12 paid holidays, 2 personal days
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Defined contribution retirement plan
Reports to: Library Director
Employment Status: Full-time exempt
To apply: Send a meaningful cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Jane Fisher, Director, at email@example.com on or before December 6, 2019.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts the Wallingford Public Library’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects the Wallingford Public Library’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
The Wallingford Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate as to age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other protected status under state and federal laws.