You are hereAbout / Employment
Part-Time Evening Custodian/Security Monitor
The Wallingford Public Library seeks a part-time Custodian/Security Monitor to join our team.
Performs general cleaning and minor maintenance duties in maintaining library building, adjacent walks and grounds, and equipment in clean, orderly and functional condition. Monitors and addresses patron behavior in public areas and grounds. Provides assistance to staff and patrons as necessary. Reports to the Head Custodian and also receives general direction from the Director, Assistant Director, and/or Person-In-Charge.
- Cleans rooms, hallways, restrooms, staff break room, and stairways.
- Uses brooms, mops, and floor equipment to sweep and mop floors.
- Uses vacuum cleaners to clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture and blinds.
- Dusts furniture and equipment.
- Empties wastebaskets.
- Replenishes restroom supplies.
- Sets up and takes down chairs, tables and equipment in meeting rooms.
- Clears snow from entrances and walkways, applies ice melt to icy pavement and walkways.
- Uses extreme courtesy to enforce the Wallingford Public Library Code of Conduct.
- Makes regular rounds of all areas of the building and its grounds.
- Completes Problem Building / Problem Patron reports for all incidents.
- Assists in building closing procedures.
- The skills and knowledge required would generally be obtained with previous experience in building cleaning and maintenance work.
- Ability to relate to staff and patrons in a mature, courteous manner and to understand the Library's mission and Code of Conduct.
- Ability to acquire job skills with three weeks of on-the-job training.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing from 20-40 pounds.
- Ability to work occasionally in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, or snow.
- Ability to follow all applicable safety rules and procedures.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Monday–Friday 6–9 p.m.
Apply in person or send resume and two references to Jane Fisher, Director, Wallingford Public Library, 200 North Main Street, Wallingford, CT 06492.