You are hereAbout / Employment
Part-Time Circulation Assistant
The Wallingford Public Library is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic candidate for a part-time Circulation Assistant position. Lending books and other materials to children, teens, and adults is one of the Library’s most important functions. Circulation staff members are often the first point of contact with our patrons and they serve as ambassadors for the Library by providing prompt, accurate, and friendly service.
The successful candidate for this position will have outstanding customer service skills, strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, a love of reading and learning, and the ability to work collaboratively. Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a complex, changing environment with competing demands is also essential. This position reports to the Circulation Supervisor.
- Check in and check out materials
- Collect fines for overdue, lost, and damaged materials
- Register new patrons and provide initial orientation to the Library and its services
- Reserve materials for patrons and notify patrons when their reserved items are available
- Assist patrons in person and by telephone
- Assist colleagues in other departments as needed
- Perform other Circulation Department activities as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- Understands basic computer hardware and components
- Understands and performs basic computer functions, including launching programs, saving and deleting files, and printing
- Understands and uses the Internet
- Understands and uses email applications
- Familiarity with the Library’s website, online catalog, Sierra ILS, and electronic resources a plus
- Capacity to perform detailed work consistently and accurately
- Ability to deal pleasantly and effectively with the people of all ages and backgrounds
- Ability to work well independently and in a team setting
- Available to work a flexible schedule at the Main Library and the Yalesville branch
- Ability to lift and push book carts weighing up to 30 pounds
Approximately 16-20 hours per week, including evenings, Saturdays and Sundays. Hours vary week to week. Must be available to work Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Applicants who submit a resume and list of three references by October 2, 2015 will be given first consideration. Send materials to the attention of Barbara Cangiano, Head of Circulation, Wallingford Public Library, 200 North Main Street, Wallingford, CT 06492. Email submissions to email@example.com.