You are hereAbout / Employment
Full-time Children’s Librarian
The Wallingford Public Library, a 67,000 sq. foot state-of-the-art library, has an opening for a full-time Children’s Librarian effective December 1, 2016. The Children's Department at the Wallingford Public Library provides children and caregivers with a quality collection of materials, expert help locating materials for both recreational and informational needs, and programs to encourage a love of reading, learning, and exploring the world around them. The Children’s Librarian works under the direction of the Head of Children's Services as part of a team of four professional Librarians. This full-time 37.5 hour position requires creativity, flexibility and the ability to multitask, as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills, knowledge of children's literature, and enthusiasm for working with children from birth - grade 5 along with their parents and caregivers.
- Providing information on all subjects to library users in person and over the phone
- Assist patrons to locate library materials and to access library and community services
- Provide program information and register patrons for Children’s Department programming
- Assist patrons with computer use, online databases, and internet searching
- Develop and maintain sections within the Children’s collection including selection of materials, weeding, displays, and general upkeep
- Develop and implement quality programming for children birth - grade 5 and their caregivers
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Proven track record of outstanding customer service, especially with children and families
- Extensive knowledge of children’s literature and emerging trends in children’s services
- Proficiency in wide variety of software and hardware, including MS Office, Google productivity tools, and Apple products
- Currency and fluency with innovation and technology trends in public libraries
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and a commitment to teamwork
- Spanish language skills highly desirable
37.5 hours per week including evenings and weekends on rotation
Benefits & Compensation
- Librarian 1 in 12 steps, depending on qualifications and experience (meets CT State suggested minimum)
- 20 vacation days, 12 paid holidays, 2 personal days
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance for employees
- TIAA-CREF retirement plan
Send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Sunnie Scarpa, Head of Children’s Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before September 30, 2016.
The Wallingford Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate as to age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other protected status under state and federal laws.
The Wallingford Public Library seeks a part-time custodian to join its team effective October 11, 2016.
Performs general cleaning and maintenance duties in maintaining library building, adjacent walks and grounds, and equipment in clean, orderly and functional condition. Reports to the Head Custodian and also receives general direction from the Director and Assistant Director.
- Cleans rooms, hallways, walls, glass, restrooms, staff break room, and stairways.
- Uses brooms, mops, and floor equipment to sweep, mop, and buff floors.
- Uses vacuum cleaners to clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture and blinds.
- Dusts furniture and equipment.
- Empties indoor and outdoor wastebaskets.
- Removes trash to the dumpster.
- Replenishes restroom supplies.
- Sets up and takes down chairs, tables, and equipment in meeting rooms.
- Cuts grass, weeds planters and beds, waters grass, rakes and removes leaves.
- Keeps parking lot and walkways clear of litter and debris.
- Clears snow from entrances and walkways, applies ice melt to icy pavement and walkways.
- The skills and knowledge required would generally be obtained with previous experience in building cleaning and maintenance work.
- Ability to relate to staff and patrons in a mature, courteous manner and to understand the Library's mission and Code of Conduct.
- Ability to acquire job skills with three weeks of on-the-job training.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing from 20-40 pounds.
- Ability to work occasionally in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, or snow.
- Ability to follow all applicable safety rules and procedures.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Monday-Friday, 6 – 9 a.m. Occasional weekend and evenings hours may be required.
Apply in person or send resume and contact information for two references to Jane Fisher (email@example.com), Director, Wallingford Public Library, 200 North Main Street, Wallingford, CT 06492.