You are hereAbout / Employment
Part-Time Reference Librarian
The Wallingford Public Library has an immediate opening for an approachable and enthusiastic part-time reference librarian. Reference librarians work with the Assistant Director and other members of a dynamic team of professionals to provide information services and to help patrons succeed in their use of technology. This position requires extensive public contact with adults and teens, as well as excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Provide information on all subjects to library users in person, by telephone, and via text messaging
- Assist patrons in locating materials and provide reader’s advisory service
- Assist patrons with online databases, Internet resources, and computer searching
- Assist patrons with operation and maintenance of library equipment including public computers, wireless printing, microfilm reader/printers, 3D printers, scanners, fax machine, and copiers
- Lead tours to acquaint individuals and groups with the library’s programs and services
- Design and teach technology classes for small groups
- Coordinate and schedule volunteer technology instructors
- Conduct one-on-one training about the library’s digital collection platforms, including OverDrive, Zinio, and hoopla
- Select books and other materials for the library’s collection in cooperation with other members of the staff
- Create visually appealing displays of materials
- Troubleshoot technology equipment
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution (applications from students currently enrolled in a library science graduate program will be considered)
- Currency and fluency with technology trends in public libraries
- Proficiency in wide variety of software and hardware, including MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and Apple products
- Proficiency with use of e-reader devices and downloading of e-books, e-magazines, and streaming media
- Proficiency with mobile devices used in the library, including tablets and smartphones
- Proven track record of outstanding customer service to a wide range of ages and abilities.
12-20 hours weekly, including evening and weekends
Meets CT minimum standards
Send a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three references to Amy Humphries, Assistant Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.